Tower Quest

Free Visitor's Guide

Timber Harvest Inspections are conducted according to statute to protect "forest cover adjacent to certain surface waters of the state and along public highways" and to "...ensure future forest productivity...without undue infringement on the rights of private forest landowners."

The Director, Division of Forests and Lands is responsible for the enforcement of timber harvesting laws under
RSA 227:G:3. This responsibility is carried out through the Division's Forest Protection Bureau.


If you require the assistance of a Forest Ranger
for a law enforcement issue,
 call (603) 271-2214 or
fill out the Complaint Form
email it to 

Click Here for more information

Over the past year, Forest Rangers have conducted multiple checkpoints and motor vehicle stops -confiscating over 200 loads of firewood brought in from out of state.


Basal Area Variance Request This form is for loggers, foresters or landowners who wish to request permission to harvest in excess of 50% of the Basal Area. Basal Area Request for Extension

Notice of Intent to Cut - This form is for loggers, foresters and landowners who wish to harvest timber.  The State of New Hampshire has a real estate tax and by definition timber is considered to be real estate, therefore taxable.  However, the method in which it is taxed is different from other real estate and is described in the State Constitution.  Timber is only taxed at the time it is cut and at a rate, which encourages the growing of timber.  In order for the municipal assessing officials to be aware of cutting operations they must be notified of the cutting by the owner filing a Notice of Intent to Cut Timber.  The Notice of Intent, which is required by law, notifies the assessing officials, NH Department of Revenue (DRA) and the NH Division of Forests & Lands.  More information on Timber Tax (such as Stumpage Value Guides, Conversion Formulas, Rules etc...) can be found at the DRA website. 

Notification of Forest Management or Timber Harvest Activities Having Minimum Wetlands Impact 
This link will take you to the NH DES waebpage and is for loggers, foresters and landowners who will be harvesting timber in areas which may impact wetland areas and is required for the installation of crossing devices.
To receive approval for a DES Minimum Wetlands Impact Notification, you must first complete a DATA CHECK with the Natural Heritage Bureau to determine whether your proposed project could impact rare species or critical habitat.  There is no fee for this data check for the purpose of obtaining a Notification for timber harvesting activities.  Click here to visit the Natural Heritage Buruea site and complete your data check. 

Driveway Permit - This application is for landowners/loggers who will have vehicles entering a state road from the harvest site.  This application needs to be sent to and approved by the NH Department of Transportation District responsible for the area.



Basal Area Law
– This FAQ sheet gives information and answers questions about RSA 227-J:9 reference Basal Area, including a map with the required setbacks.

Slash Law 
– This FAQ sheet gives information and answers questions about RSA 227-J:10 reference slash, including a map with the required setbacks.

Timber Trespass
– This FAQ sheet gives information and answers questions about RSA 227-J:8 reference Timber Trespass.

Deceptive Forestry Business Practices
– This FAQ sheet gives information and answers questions about RSA 227-J:15 reference Deceptive Forestry Business Practices. This law requires that all Timber Harvesting requiring an Intent to Cut must have a written contract which outlines the payment process and amounts for the harvest.

Timber Tax Law 
– Ten percent of the value of every timber sale is returned to towns where cutting takes place. This FAQ sheet gives information and answers questions about RSA 227-J:5 and 79:10 reference Timber Tax.

Guide to New Hampshire Timber Harvesting Laws -
This guide gives a general overview of the Timber Harvesting Laws and is a good reference material for loggers, foresters and landowners.

Best Management Practices (BMP’s) for Erosion Control on Timber Harvesting Operations in New Hampshire
– This reference manual is useful for loggers, foresters and landowners and should be used whenever laying out a timber harvest.

Harvesting Around Wetlands
 – This information sheet from UNH Cooperative Extension gives an overview of Riparian Habitats and includes suggestions for Forest Management around these areas.

Deparment of Environmental Services, Consolidated List of Water Bodies (Fourth order Streams)


The following are useful documents developed by the University of New Hampshire – Cooperative Extension

Timber Sale Guidelines  This information sheet is useful for any landowner planning to have timber harvested on their property. RSA 227-J:15 requires that all timber harvests which require an Intent to Cut must also have a written contract.

Timber Sale Agreement
This information sheet gives information for the Timber Sale Agreement as well as a sample Contract.

About Licensed Foresters
- This information sheet gives an overview of the requirements of Licensed Foresters.

Selecting a Forester
- This information sheet gives an overview of the services a Licensed Forester can provide for landowners.

Find a Licensed Forester
This link will bring you to the NH Board of Foresters.

Owning a Piece of the Forest – For Landowners
This document is a good primer for current and prospective landowners in New Hampshire.

Timber Harvesting and Silviculture
- This information sheet gives a good overview of information to consider when managing your forest.

Woodlot Boundary Line Marking
 – This FAQ sheet gives an overview of the techniques used for marking boundary lines.


2010 Good Forestry in the Granite State
 – This document provides the educational tools needed to manage ecologically sensitive and unique features of forest land.

Forest Products Road Manual
This manual is a guide for both municipal officials and the forest products industry to improve understanding of the laws which govern public roadways.

UNH Cooperative Extension Forestry Website: